Wednesday 4 December 2013

Anyone for Monopoly - no thanks!

Amazon has been the place for my eBook sales so far. I'm not a supporter of monopolies though. I don't only buy food in Asda. I don't only fill up with diesel at Esso. I don't only eat McVities Milk Chocolate Biscuits and I don't only wear Rolex watches. That's all true, every last word of it, apart from the bit about the biscuits... and I can't actually afford a Rolex. 

+Anthony Lavisher brought my attention to a place called Smashwords, and I had good talks about the difference between them and Amazon with +Debbie Bennett. At first I though it was nothing special, just another channel through which I could distribute my eBooks. After spending several days reading it through, following their guides and successfully publishing both Meet The Poo's and Peter Poo to the Rescue, I realise that they are, in my opinion, a far better option than Amazon. Just as my local, family run café offers a better service than McDonalds. Sometimes the smaller fish have more to prove and therefore offer more in the way of being helpful, offering you more choice and valuing your custom more. They may not be able to reach the spans of the Earth as easily as the 'big boys' but, if people realise there is a better service to be had elsewhere, one day they could be just as big, or even bigger. Does anyone remember there being a Wimpy where almost every McDonalds or Burger King now stands, or when Skoda cars and Doc Martin boots were the 'affordable' option?

Saying all that was for a good reason. Both of my books are currently available from Smashwords for $1.55, or £0.95 to my UK companions. You can also read my short biography and an interview with me. Although my 'slice of the pie' is less here than with Amazon (I am charging less and still donating to +Action for Children) I believe that they are more deserving of the business and the benefits will be recognised by authors and readers in the coming months and years.

If you would prefer to hold a copy of Meet The Poo's in your hand to read to your child I have found an offer today which I, as the author, cannot beat or even match! Go to Book Depository today to save 28% and get free delivery. I might even stock up on a few copies myself...

Meet The Poo's on sale at Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment